Arranging a Visa appointment at the US Embassy

Well, sorry it has been a few days since I posted- I told you that I'd received my Visa pack (Monday) and planned to call the next day. However it is now Friday evening and I haven't told you what happened!! Sorry!
I've looked round a lot of blogs out there, and they haven't really covered step by step of the whole visa process, just the appointment at the Embassy. So this is for all those people out there who are yet to receive their pack and genuinely want to know what happens when you call.

I have to say though, I am ridiculous when it comes to phoning people (especially companies/businesses/official people) I'm a nervous wreck. God knows how I managed to get through my phone interview with Yummy and then for HRC. Of course the info that I have been provided with, and provide here is in relation to UK applicants for the CRP. I am merely passing on my experience and have no official instructions or knowledge as to how things are run!

So yes, a few of the UK May 3rders wanted to meet up in London and get an embassy appointment together. However it was becoming a bit of a palava trying to sort it out and nobody had rung the Embassy yet. So at around 5pm (they close at 9pm) I decided to take a deep breath and pick up the phone. Please be aware that it does cost £1.23 per minute to call, so I would advise using a home phone as it would probably be more from a mobile. The first minute or so is just prepping you what to have with you for the call.  These are:

  • Your I-797B Notice of action- as you will need the case type, the receipt number and validity dates. 
  • Your passport- you'll need the number
  • Debit/Credit Card- they don't accept Visa Electron. 
So then you press the option for your visa, *Ring ring* "Sorry we are experiencing a high volume of calls, please call again later." *Duurrrrrr* -- Now for me, later equated to putting the phone down, counting to 3 and then pressing redial. Listening to the speech again and getting straight through to a person! (Wow so busy haha) 

They do ask you first of all what type of Visa you are applying for- for the CRP it will be a year long Q-1 Visa, for the ICP it will be the 3month J-1 Visa. They will also ask where you would like the appointment- there are two choices; London and Belfast. This is when they will ask for the I-797B info and they also ask a few general questions about you, name, address, date of birth etc then you pay the fee of $150 and select an appointment time! The guy did say I could have an appointment as early as Wednesday morning, but seeing as I hadn't yet done the online form, this wasn't a great choice. So I've given myself a couple of weeks to get sorted. Also I have got an early time slot- that way I can hopefully be in and out relatively quickly. Am still deciding whether I'll be going and staying overnight in London or going up on the early train. 

So now that is all booked for 2 weeks time. Also I went and got some special photos taken for the visa- as they want 2x2inch passport style photos. I don't think passport photos are suitable.. which is annoying.

Just have to complete the online form now.. I shall keep you updated on how that goes! 


"Hello? Cobra Bubbles? Aliens are attacking my house... They want my dog
... Oh, Good! My dog found the chainsaw."


No comments:

Post a Comment